In clinic I offer complementary prenatal care, working along side obstetricians and registered midwives.
Prenatal visit structure
- The initial visit is lengthy as we review all relevant medical information including diet, exercise, sleep, family history, menstrual history, etc.
- You will leave with a requisition for blood work and a diet diary, as well as a basic treatment plan.
Second visit – 1 hour
- The second visit often involves a fair amount of teaching and explanation of your biological processes and how we can support them.
- You will leave with a fully fleshed out treatment plan.
Follow-ups – 30 mins
- If you were not under my care prior to pregnancy, then I prefer to see you as soon as pregnancy is determined to be sure that nutrient intake and toxin avoidance is optimal at this critical gestational stage.
- The next appointments would be as follows:
- 12 weeks
- 20 weeks
- 24 weeks
- 28 weeks
- 32 weeks
- 36 weeks
- At 37 weeks we will commence birth prep acupuncture (if appropriate), and will continue weekly until 40 weeks
- At 40 weeks if baby has not yet arrived we can increase labour stimulating acupuncture to twice weekly. If appropriate and if encouraged by the primary Midwife, we can include labour stimulating herbs and homeopathics to help baby along the transition.
How I can help prenatal health
- Allergy elimination
- Increasing nutrient density
- Education of safe herbs/foods/supplements for each trimester
- Including safe co-sleeping and healthy crib mattresses
- Pelvic floor health
- Group B Strep testing
- Glucose tolerance testing
- Fetal positioning
- The microbiome and importance of good bacteria
Naturopathic medicine is also well equipped to resolve common pregnancy ailments such as constipation, UTIs, and nausea if they arise, as well as threatened and recurrent miscarriage.
Acupuncture can be very helpful in conjunction with herbs to stimulate lactation, and home visits can be arranged to help mom bring in her milk day 3 postpartum onwards.
I prefer to see mother-baby dyad at 7 weeks (to discuss vaccination options), 12 weeks, then every 3 months until the age of 2, after which we check in once per year.
Online prenatal support
My colleague Dr. Corinne Brown ND has developed a thorough and invaluable online birth preparation program that every pregnancy woman should watch prior at the beginning of her third trimester: